Continuing with the theme of the month of alkaline recipes, the veggie* for this week is the cucumber. Alkaline inside and out, cucumbers make for awesome alkaline foods. They are light, fill your tummy and they are alkaline, what more could you ask for? Well, before you say ‘taste’, let me accept the fact that cucumbers don’t taste all that great, but they don’t taste all that bad either, they are simply neutral.
Yes, you read it right. The famous cucumber is best used as cut slices. Let’s go into some details about how we can use them to the best possible way.
1) Cut Slices: The most common and easy way to eat a cucumber is to peel it, slice it and serve on a neat plate. It will be ready in 2 mins, best for a snack, in the initial days, cucumbers were my breakfast and lunch. Over time, newer dishes have come up in my menu. If the plain cucumber is too bland for your taste, add some chat masala (spicy & tangy powder), although chat masala has non alkaline ingredients, since we are adding them in minuscule quantities, it’s alright.
2) Cut Slices in Salads: As you may remember from some of the pictures of my salads, cucumbers are a daily feature in my salads, sliced up a little differently than usual, cucumbers make a great filling, they are cheap to buy and one cucumber is often enough to fill up nearly half of the salad. The important thing to remember if you’re one of the people that can’t eat cucumbers directly, make sure you add some fruit that can add some sweetness to the salad to neutralize taste factor of the cucumber. This is a big one for me.
3) Cut Slices as a Side Dish: Cucumbers are present in every restaurant, and many times they are just placed as starters before the meal and the best part is that many times they don’t even charge for them. A note to over eaters, cucumbers are the way to go if you want to eat less of junk. You have only 1 stomach, you can either fill it up with salads, with soup, with starters, with biryani*, or with ice cream. But the end result is that your stomach will be full after a while, and if it’s full with cucumbers, you’ve put on no weight whatsoever, if you’re full with biryani, you’ve put on 1500 calories.
Note: The satiety reflex, the reflex of the stomach that tells you you’re full is triggered faster when you eat healthy, That means that if you’re eating healthy foods, you will eat less and still have all the energy you need.
True, the list above is small, but it’s not list that makes the difference, it is the application of the list in your daily life. I eat cucumbers in the way I mentioned above, it makes a huge difference to the quality of my life. I feel phenomenal, very necessary element to balance out acidic foods.
Keep this in mind while using cucumbers from now on.
Please post your experiences with cucumbers, and let me know about anything you’d like to hear more about.
* in India, we refer to cucumbers and tomatoes as vegetables.
* Biryani is steamed flavoured rice that often includes Non Veg.